Monday, March 28, 2011

George's Letters: 2-3-1943





Feb 3, 1943
10:00 P.M.


Darling George,


   Well, now that I have the scrubbing done, and the house cleaned up, and the clothes sprinkled, and a story in a magazine finished, and two candy bars ate, and the supper dishes all done and put away, I guess I can take time out to answer your last letter. Oh yes, I forgot, I had to put the two small boys to bed and answer the telephone a dozen times and burn the waste paper. Gee, whiz, I'm not at all busy, or am I? No wonder I haven't written to you.
   I believe I wrote and told you that they took Mom to the hospital and operated on her. Well, she is coming along fine and will be home in about a week if nothing further occurs.
   Believe it or not, I'm the boss now, and what I say goes, by golly. I get up about 5:30 or 6:30 in the morning and get myself all ready to get to work and breakfast for five of us and dad off to work and the two small boys started on the process of getting their small chores done and ready to leave for school by 8:30. Then I work all day from 8:00 til 4:30, then I get home about 5:00 and help dad get supper, then I have to do all the work there is to do when you try to keep house and work all at the same time. I get up and do the washing and clean house real good on Sunday.
   However, I don't mind doing it as long as I know that my mom is going to come home all well.
   Well, it was 10:15 P.M. when I went to bed, so here I am again. This is Sunday, Feb.7 afternoon about 6:10 and before I get started to clean up to go to a show with my girlfriend. I have accomplished a lot today. I've washed, done all the ironing, cleaned house, washed and fixed my hair and got three meals. So you see I go at an awful high rate of speed. There isn't any news outside of the fact that they have rationed shoes here in the states. We are having Spring thaws right now. My mom is much better but don't know when she will be home. I've got to sign off now & get over to the hospital to see her. Good - by for now, my darling. With all my love to the sweetest guy.


Ethella

1 comment:

rajumadhur said...

@ Ethella... you parents should be very proud of you...






Letters