Tuesday, March 29, 2011

George's Letters: 2-10-1943






Wednesday, Eve.


Dear George,


   Hello Sweetheart! How are you? Fine, I hope. Me, well, not so good. I nearly passed out at work twice today. Boy, did I feel rotten. I feel a quite a bit better tonite though, thank goodness.
   My mom isn't home from the hospital yet.


Thursday
   Well, I started this before I went to bed last nite and I'm at now so I'll try & get it finished. I'm eating lunch at work right now so I'll write between bites.
   As I told you Mom isn't home from the hospital yet and from what the doctor says she probably won't be home for another three weeks. Gene and Donnie are both home sick in bed with "cat fever". You have probably heard of it. It is a form of the flu. Me, I feel better today, thanks. I'm not all out of it yet though.
   Say, you know what, I received the sweetest valentine from the sweetest fellow named Geo. E. Bargheart! No kidding, darling, that was the sweetest thing I have ever received, but tell me, since when have they started having card shops aboard ships?
   I haven't as yet received my teeth but then I suppose it will be Summer before I do. I can't have any impressions taken yet though because I have some (illegible word) that are coming out of my gums so I have to wait some more. Such a time. I don't see why they don't just take me out and shoot me. I'd be a lot better off and so would everybody else.
  Say, little one, pardon me for asking but did you have a brother named Clarence that was in the Navy? Just curiosity. Thanks.
   Well, this is Friday nite and so help me I'm going to finish this letter.
   I had to work until 9 last nite at the plant and didn't get home until 9:40; so when I did get home I went straight to bed. Now this evening, I've washed dished and cleaned out the icebox and sprinkled clothes and have some soaking that have to be washed and as soon as I finish this I'm going to iron. Oh, yes, I have a hem to put in my suit skirt that I got back from the cleaners today. It is now 8:30 and I'm listening to the president. Oh, I forgot, I have to wash and fix my hair yet too. I'm beginning to look like a rag picker's daughter. Ha! Ha!
   Gee, darling, I don't know what else to tell you. There isn't any news here only that my family have all improved a great deal, aren't out of bed, yet, though. It snowed this morning, now every thing is slick and clean.
   Gee, whiz, sweetheart I've got to sign off for now and have a swell valentine day. Remember you are still my valentine and I mean it too.


Lots of Love
Ethella

No comments: