Sunday, January 24, 2010

Vegan Nom Nom: Tofu Fajitas






Tofu Fajitas
serves 6

2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
1 green pepper, such as ancho, Anaheim or bell, seeded and julienned
1 hot pepper, such as jalapeno or serrano, seeded and minced
1 C sliced mushrooms, such as crimini or portobello
2 C sliced, baked pressed tofu (preferably savory or hickory smoked flavor)
Salt to taste
6 nonfat whole wheat tortillas, warmed

Garnish: Low-fat sour cream, salsa, chopped fresh tomatoes, avocado, and scallions

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onions. Saute, stirring until the onions are translucent. Stir in the peppers and mushrooms saute until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the tofu and stir-fry for 5 minutes more. Season with salt to taste and serve in the tortillas.

Top the fajitas with low-fat sour cream, salsa, chopped fresh tomatoes, avocado, or a combination of these.

"Tofu Fajitas" recipe from The Healthy Kitchen by Andrew Weil, M.D. and Rosie Daly, page 213.

My notes: I adore Dr. Andrew Weil (or "Doctor Santa" as he is known around my house) so when I found a copy of this cookbook for $4.00, I snapped it up. Do not be put off by the cheesy "ah, look at this guy!" thumb cock cover with Rosie Daly - I didn't know who she was until I read the front cover flap, and frankly, I still do not know.
These fast and easy fajitas were a hit with my carnivore hubby, and myself. I am not strictly vegan, but have been trying to cook healthier. Next go round, I'd add another jalapeno or a hotter pepper as the fixin's were a tad bland for our tastes.
I reccomend Tofutti brand sour cream as a dairy free substitute.


1 comment:

Jill said...

Sounds quite delish!